what's the scoop on acne-safe ice cream?
summer is right around the corner, and with the hot weather comes the siren song of the ice cream truck! it tempts our collective sweet tooth with soft-serve and ice cream bars. if you're worried that you might not survive an acne-safe summer without frozen treats, we've got you covered! back in february, ben & jerry’s added three new flavors to their acclaimed dairy-free almond milk ice cream line. this left us all wondering: are they acne-safe? can we finally eat a bowl of cherry garcia on a hot summer night without fearing an impending breakout? at skinSALVATION, we take frozen dessert pretty seriously! we read some labels and put ben & jerry’s almond milk ice creams through our rigorous ingredient-auditing. while the creative and iconic vermont flavors still shine in the new ben & jerry’s dairy-free ice creams, they all contain a few acne-triggering ingredients. here are the culprits:
(in all flavors) - while we encourage our clients to avoid soy as much as possible, we've found that soy lecithin in small amounts does not aggravate most acne-prone skin.
(in coconut seven-layer bar and chocolate fudge brownie) - soybean oil is highly inflammatory, so we recommend steering clear of these two flavors as much as possible.
(in all flavors) - it's not the end of the world if you consume coconut oil, but try not to let it come in contact with the skin around your mouth.
(in caramel-almond, coffee caramel fudge, cherry garcia and coconut seven-layer bar) - this is an iodine-heavy thickener derived from seaweed and the body flushes excess iodides out through the skin. for that reason, we suggest limiting your consumption of these four flavors.
and if you’re sensitive to gluten, stick with chunky monkey and cherry garcia - these are the gluten-free options!
before you run to the nearest corner store to nab your favorite frozen pint, we’ve got one more caveat: the sugar content of these ben & jerry’s products is a little high. even though an ice cream flavor named after a beloved hippie rockstar sounds irresistible, cherry garcia and the rest of these flavors contain higher amounts of sugar than other non-dairy ice cream products on the market (25g per half cup vs. 13g in coconut bliss, 12g in almond dream and 5g in jöne’s gelato). sugar and soy can negatively impact acne-prone skin (more on soy in a new blog post coming soon). we recommend treating these ben & jerry’s products as occasional indulgences and seeking soy-free options for your regular ice cream cravings instead. if you can't resist, the winner of the most acne-safe b&j’s flavor award is chunky monkey - so choose your vermont’s finest flavor wisely!
if you’re feeling adventurous and want to branch out into the decadent world of acne-safe ice cream just in time for summer, here is a list of some of our favorite brands that pass the sS test:
- coconut bliss
- the house favorite! a dreamy, creamy coconut base that surrounds fun flavors like cinnamon chocolate fusion and ginger cookie caramel (check it out here
- so delicious
- a carrageenan-free product line! watch out for coconut oil and soy lecithin in some flavors and then bask in this super sweet and texturally-authentic ice cream (check it out here
- jöne’s paleo
- this smooth and squeaky-clean paleo gelato can be found all over the sf bay area and in whole foods stores across california (check it out here
- mr. dewie’s
- an oakland-based mom & pop ice cream company that shies away from soy and gluten and opts instead to amp up the protein content of its creations with creamy cashews (check it out here
- almond dream
- these products also contain small amounts of carrageenan for thickening purposes, but they are delicious! watch for soy lecithin in the chocolate chips! (check it out here
- make your own! the internet is full of dairy-free ice cream recipes featuring homemade nut milks, coconut milk and even hemp milk! use our pinterest page to guide your courageous culinary endeavors.
(if you want to link to actual recipes, here are a couple - i've never made them but i trust these people)
this post was created for you by diane.